Friday, June 4, 2010

A blog to make the married folk laugh

So, many of you know I listen to Dennis Prager (www.dennisprager.com) on a regular basis. He is a talk-show host that broadcasts about politics, issues in life, happiness, marriage, you name it. Well, he frequently has a guest on named Alison Armstrong. Alison Armstrong is an advocate for understanding men and women and their differences and what impact it has on your marriage.

So, the other day she was on his show and they were talking about something and I had this AH-HA moment. Before I go any further, can I just say this is GENERALLY true about men, just in case it doesn't apply. Sooo...for the rest of us. Alison was talking about a book she is writing and a dialogue that she was creating between a husband and a wife about taking out the trash. The wife is irritated because he doesn't take out the trash when it needs it. She asks him if he could take it out. The husband asks: When do you want me to take it out? The wife is dumbfounded. Well obviously when it is full. So, Allison stops writing at this point and tries to figure out why the husband would ask this question. And then it hits her.

When men are busy with a task, they are so focused on the task at hand that it would NEVER occur to them to take out the trash. Mainly because they are in the middle of something else. It wouldn't make sense for them to stop in the middle of what they were doing and start on something else.

Women on the other hand, can't function until the trash is taken out. Our environment is speaking to us. We don't have to straighten the pillow, the PILLOW is demanding to be straightened. Or we can't cook until the dishes have been done and we have a clean slate to work with.

This was so funny to me because Andy and I had had countless "arguments" over the exact same thing. He wants to know why I can't just sit down and watch the movie in our dirty living room. I had tried to explain that I couldn't enjoy myself because I saw all the dust on the tables. His response: What dust?!

I've heard countless topics on men and women from Dennis Prager and Alison Armstrong, but for some reason, this one really got to me. Understanding our differences makes it humorous instead of infuriating. Instead of it annoying me, it endears me to men. I love our differences. Thank God they aren't like us women. That would be one crazy, emotional world!

SO.....without further ado. My boss has his own bathroom that no one else uses. Check out his trash spilling out the top and all over the floor. Before learning this, a woman could think: What a slob? Doesn't he notice. The answer: Actually no, he doesn't. In fact, half the time he is walking to the bathroom, he is getting off the phone with some business person. Trash is the last thing on his mind. Ha. Had to share. I love learning about life and human nature.

2 comments:

  1. This is all so true! We have the same fights. I have also heard that men don't have the same eyes as women. They don't have as many rods or cones, or whatever it is that lets us see detail, therefore, they cannot see dust like us women can. I guess we can't get too mad at 'em, huh?

    ReplyDelete